Looking for the best spinning reel under 100 $? There are tons of high-quality spinning reels within this price range that perform well. In fact, you don’t need to buy an expensive one. The affordable reels are great too, especially if you’re a beginner and want to practice in the meantime.
If you are overwhelmed and can’t seem to find the right reel for you, don’t worry. We have done all that hard work for you. In this article, we have listed seven of the best spinning reels for under 100 dollars. Hopefully, this will help you fish and enjoy your time fishing without breaking the bank!
What to Look For in a Spinning Reel
So you have bought a spinning reel. Maybe you’re shopping for your first fishing rod, or maybe you want to upgrade your old button reel system. Whatever your reasons, do a little research before making your purchase. With these simple tips, you will have the right fishing reel to catch whatever species you want.
Instant Anti-Reverse Handles
Begin your search by finding spinning reels that have no backward movement on the handle. If you can move the handle back even a bit, you can avoid a powerful and precise set of hooks, reducing your fishing success.
There should be no play at all when you want to stop the reel. Test this by moving the handle forward, then carefully turn it around. If the handle backs off, switch to a different fishing reel.
Smooth, Easily Adjustable Drag
The drag system puts pressure on the fish and allows you to distribute the line when needed. A high-quality, smooth drag system is essential for a good spinning reel. The drag system should release the line in a smooth and seamless manner, with no jerks or jerks as the line progresses. If it jerks and stutters like a car with a bad transmission, it may not be the right reel choice.
Most anglers recommend a front drag system on a spinning lure as it is closer to the reel and easier to access and adjust during the thrill of a catch.
Ball Bearing Quantity
We won’t dive too deep into the mechanics, but know that the higher the number of ball bearings, the smoother the recovery on your spinning reel.
Many experts recommend getting the reel with the most ball bearings you can afford, but a good number to look out for is five. This is an ideal number because you will get a lot of smoothness at an affordable price and you may not distinguish between five bearings, eight bearings, or even ten bearings.
The selection of the best gear ratio will depend on the type of fishing you want to do. The gear ratio is the number of times the handle rotates around the spool during one rotation of the handle. So a 4: 1 gear ratio means that the bail turns four times during one handle rotation.
If you are using lures that need quick retrievals, a higher gear ratio is recommended. A 4: 1 gear ratio is slow, while a 6: 1 is fast. For a good full reel, choose something in the 5: 1 region.
Keep these tips in mind and you will find the perfect spinning reel for your specific fishing needs.
Line Rating and Capacity
Each reel must have the line rating and capacity written on it. For example, this looks like this: 6/230, 8/170, 10/140. These numbers represent the weight of the line/yards that can be placed on the reel. For the example above, the reel can wind 230 yards of 6-lb mono, 170 yards of 8-lb mono, or 140 yards of 10-lb mono.
Understanding the capacity and classification of the line is important as it helps you understand two important ideas:
- What weight and amount of mainline the reel I rate for
- What size of fish the reel I rated for
If you put a line that is too heavy for the reel, you will lose the ability to cast and cannot roll as much line. If you put a line too light, you may have more line breaks for larger fish.
9 The Best Spinning Reel Under 100 $ of 2021
1. Penn Pursuit III – Best Spinning Reel Under 100
The Penn Pursuit III is a continuation of this model as there was a Pursuit I and II and it is built on the same base/platform as Penn’s higher-end reels like the Sarges. Basically, that means the reel comes from “good stock”. It has an oil-felt drag system, so if you ever encounter any sticky feeling, just add a little spool oil to the drag. The handle has improved knobs (softer and larger) for a more comfortable grip and recovery. This is a very affordable spinning reel for under $100.
- HT-100 drag system for smooth catch
- CNC folding aluminum handle maximizes excellent grip
- 4 shielded stainless steel ball bearings provide better stability in high-temperature environments
- Infinite anti-kickback engages and activates drag when casting or retrieving your fishing line to prevent kickback
- Excellent value reel for saltwater anglers
- Built on Penn’s top reel platform
- Durable and well-made components
- No ultralight models (smallest size is 3000)
- Not sealed (submersible reel carefully)
2. Pflueger President
This reel is perfect for the novice and casual angler, offering excellent quality for a dollar value! The President is lightweight with a maximum drag rating of 12lbs, so this reel is designed for small to medium-sized fish.
Alternatively, this would make a great backup spool. Looking at all the features like gear ratio, drag, ball bearings, weight, etc., the president gets a medium to high rating across the board. Pflueger’s parent company Pure Fishing is certainly doing something right as they continue to create quality reels at a low cost!
- Stainless steel bearings offer corrosion resistance
- A lightweight graphite reel body transmits the power from your handle directly to our rotor, so you can fish completely without interruptions
- Minimizes line twist through slow oscillating gears
- Aircraft-grade aluminum handles for maximum durability
- Reliable reel for a beginner angler
- The reel feels very smooth (because of the 10 ball bearings)
- Limited model sizes (largest rated for 12 lb mono)
- Not classified for saltwater
3. Piscifun Honor XT
Piscifun continues to develop high-quality reels/gear at very affordable prices. The Piscifun Honor Spinning Reel is brand new, the reviews are pouring in, and … they are amazing! This Piscifun Honor Reel is made from machined aluminum with a graphite rotor, making it a compact and lightweight reel. The resistance is made of carbon fiber, which provides a soft feeling. There are 4 models (sizes 2000-5000) covering a mono line weight rating of 5 pounds to 20 pounds. 11 ball bearings make recovery and feel smooth. Really outstanding reel, I’m excited to see what these guys come up with next.
- An ultra-fast 6.2: 1 gear ratio as well as 5.2: 1 butter smoothness
- 10 + 1 Double Shielded Ball Bearings
- 3 premium carbon fiber drag washers
- Fishing reels up to 33 pounds of drag
- High-quality components (carbon fiber brake, graphite rotor, etc.)
- 4 models available (2000 to 5000)
- 11 Corrosion-resistant bearings
- Rated for saltwater
- Rare times where the bail sticks
4. Okuma Ceymar
The Okuma Ceymar reel maybe a little smaller and size, but it still has its own performance. It is lightweight because of the graphite body, rotor, and side plate. It has a wide range of models (10 to 65), so there is a reel option for small freshwater trout to large saltwater species. An interesting difference in this reel regarding others is its “cyclonic flow rotor”, this is a fancy phrase that means an open rotor design where the airflow increases when in motion and allows a faster drying time when the spool gets wet (reducing corrosion and impact on the spool)
- Multi-disc greased felt drag system, maximum drag pressure: 5 lbs.
- Fast setting anti-reverse roller bearing
- Precision Machine Cut Brass Pinion Gear
- Machined aluminum, two-tone anodized spool
- Monofilament line capacity (diameter in mm) – 210/2 (0.12) 110/4 (0.17) 70/6 (0.22)
- The smooth line is placed on the reel, which allows the line to come out better (and increases the casting distance)
- Open rotor design dries faster
- Wide range of models for most fish sizes
- Bottom line capacity
5. PENN Battle III Spinning Reel
This spinning reel under $100 perfectly combines quality, durability, and value. It’s one of the best spinning reels that’s packed with top-of-the-line features yet within everyone’s reach. It’s reliable enough to last season after season.
- HT-100 carbon fiber drag system designed to last over 100 miles of line off the reel without wearing out
- Full metal body and side plate to keep your gear protected from saltwater
- CNC gear technology allows precision in every detail
- Features a ready-to-braid spool that prevents the super line from slipping
- Significant support, especially when handling big, unruly fish.
- Rubber coating ensures that the line never slips
- It is designed to last longer than other fishing reels.
- The techno-balanced rotor provides smooth recovery
- Comfortable to operate thanks to the soft-touch knob
- A metal body that provides precision gear alignment
- Some users of the 5000 to 8000 models claim the reel is heavier, but you can always go for the lighter 1000-4000 models
6. Daiwa Legalis LT
|Gear Ratio||5.6: 1 – 5.7: 1|
|Weight||8.3 – 13.8 oz|
|Max Drag||4.4 – 13.2 lb|
The Daiwa has an exceptionally smooth feel with the 8 bearing system. The available reel models are designed for small to medium-sized fish. That may be the only downside is the lack of larger reel sizes for Daiwa fans. It has an air rotor design that makes the reel lighter and allows for better airflow (allows for faster drying time). For a low-priced reel, this one is hard to beat for the freshwater angler.
- Lightweight carbon material shell – LT Concept
- ABS spool (advanced ballistic system)
- 6 bearing system (5BB + 1RB)
- Air rotor and air bail
- Line Capacity (Test Pounds / Yards) -MONO: 8/240, 10/210, J-BRAID: 10/250, 15/185
- Exceptionally smooth feel reel (retrieve and drag)
- High-end components geared towards freshwater fishing
- No oversized models (largest is 4000, largest mono line rating is 14 #)
7. Penn Fierce III
|Gear Ratio||5.2: 1-6.2: 1|
|Max Drag||7 – 25 lb|
The Penn Fierce III is the next edition of the Fierce line (Fierce I and II). The reel body lives up to its name with an all-metal body and side plates and heavy-duty aluminum wire. This reel is sturdy and designed to withstand some abuse, but with this added grain, the reel weight is slightly higher than comparable reels. This real has 8 different models (sizes 1000 to 8000) so there is a size of a reel for fish from micro to large size. There is also the Super line Spool, which provides a bit more line capacity than other comparable spools.
- All-metal body and side plate maintain precise gear alignment under heavy loads
- The techno-Balanced rotor provides smooth recoveries
- 4 + 1 stainless steel bearing system
- Instant anti-reverse bearing
- HT-100 carbon fiber brake washers. High-strength aluminum wire. Super line reel. Line Capacity Rings
- Excellent Beginning Saltwater Angler or Weekend Warrior
- Many reel models (sizes) are available
- Large line capacity
- Sturdy materials for solid reels (can take a lot of abuse)
- Greater weight
- The reel body is not sealed (may need to be greased after the reel is submerged)
8. KastKing Sharky III Fishing Reel
|Max Drag||7 – 33 lb|
This model from KastKing has a great performance reputation for providing high-quality fishing reels; Their products are known to be some of the best fishing products on the market.
Spinning reels are very popular with many anglers, due to their easy handling. All you have to do is flip the bail, put a finger in the braided fishing line, cast, close the bail, and simply twist the handle to roll it up again!
Read on for our review of the KastKing sharky baitfeeder III, one of the best spinning reels under $ 100 available on the market in 2022.
- Lightweight reel made for the smallest hooks and baits or lures
- Anti-corrosion drive gear that lasts longer
- Robust construction with oversized stainless steel is used for the main shaft of the reel, allowing for the pulling of large fish.
- Non-slip E.V.A grips for better grip and greater power
- It comes in various sizes.
- Can handle bigger fish
- Perfect for both saltwater and freshwater fishing
- The graphite body keeps the spool corrosion-free.
- Very accessible
- Smoothness decreases over time
- 5000 is small
9. SHIMANO Sedona FI Spinning Reel
|Gear Ratio||5.0:1- 6.2:1|
|Max Drag||9 – 24 lb|
At the other end of the price spectrum from Shimano is the new Sedona FI. Including cold forged HAGANE gears, this reel has improved and increased pulling power, making it perfect for light freshwater use and heavy offshore use. Plus, it’s lighter and reduces fatigue during a long day of jigging or casting.
With powerful performance, the Shimano Sedona FI comes with a dual anodized spool that is machine cut and increases your line capacity while providing a compact body. It is also equipped with a propulsion line management system that gives it a greater launch distance and prevents wind knots and recoil. This reel has a maximum drag of seven pounds and weighs 7.6 ounces.
- Improved performance for winding
- Lighter, faster, and stronger product construction
- Magnumlite Rotor is super lightweight for sharper and faster response.
- Maximum pulling power can withstand the fight and prevent it from breaking
- The reel has a very smooth running and good pulling power.
- This is a well-built wheel that looks great.
- This reel is super strong and has an incredible casting distance
- It does not have a reverse direction switch.
- There is a short distance between the spool pin and the first bend to where the spool pin meets the spool
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What’s the best spinning reel under 100 $?
All of these spinning reels mentioned are the best budget options. For the price, the performance they offer is truly amazing. However, if you want me to mention a few, I would say:
- Penn Pursuit III is the first best spinning reel under 100
- Pflueger President is the second best spinning reel under 100
- Piscifun Honor XT is the third best spinning reel under 100
These are outstanding artists. If you don’t want to invest a lot of money on the reel, try one of these.
Where can I buy a good spinning reel under 100 $?
Amazon is the best place to buy a good spinning reel for under $ 100. Through Amazon, you can easily compare all the major brands, find products that are not available through their manufacturers, and see countless reviews from real customers. This provides the most unbiased and accurate assessment you can make when selecting a fishing reel.
What is the best brand spinning reel?
I’m sure we can agree that there are a ton of fishing reel brands that cover a variety of gear and price options. You may think ranking the top 9 brands is a bit presumptuous, as I may interpret a brand’s value differently than you do. And that’s completely fair. With that said, these are the top brands we’ve chosen for their expertise, durability/quality, technology, customer service, and ultimately how they have adapted to the ever-changing fishing industry. Top 9 fishing reel brands in the below:
- Abu Garcia
If you are on a tight budget, you are more likely to add multiple reels to your fishing gear and manage different tasks. Above, we have reviewed the top-rated spinning reel for under 100 dollars that are of high quality and inexpensive.
If you’re still looking for more options, don’t forget to consider the important factors we’ve discussed in the complete buyer’s guide. We hope this article helps you find the best spinning reel for your needs.
Among our top picks, you may want to pay more attention to the Penn Pursuit III Spinning Reel as it stands out significantly in terms of quality and performance.
Leave a Reply