Choosing the best spinning rod is a bit more difficult than you might think. That’s because there are thousands of spinning rods and choosing a suitable one can be a bit challenging. Fortunately, we are here to help.
Whether you are a beginner in the sport of fishing or if your specialty is delicate fishing, having the wrong fishing equipment can completely ruin your day on the water. And because ending the day without fishing is not the best way to end your fishing trip, you need to choose the right spinning rod to get the most out of your fishing expedition. Since they’re fun to fish with, easy to master and use, versatile, and easy to cast, spinning rods are the best way to start.
To make it much easier for you to choose the best spinning rod, this article walks you through the best spinning rods for 2022. We’ll also highlight the pros and cons of each to help you make an informed decision.
Why are spinning rods highly rated by fishermen?
There are several types of fishing rods out there. However, spinning rods are the most popular and highly valued by anglers. The fact that they are much easier to use makes them ideal not only for experienced anglers but also for beginners who are into sport fishing as a hobby. They are also very effective as they give you more control over your cast. In other words, they allow you to use your dominant hands to hold the rod and your non-dominant hand to roll the fish.
These are some of the things to consider when choosing a fishing rod.
10 The Best Spinning Rods for 2022
1. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod – Best Choice By Mile
The spinning rods made by Shakespeare are among the best as they are designed with the angler in mind. One of Shakespeare’s best spinning rods is the Ugly Stik Elite, which is undoubtedly the ultimate spinning rod any angler could wish for. With over 17 different variations, you will only spend less than $ 100, but you will have a rod that can perform better in almost any type of situation in terms of power, length, action, and many more.
Although its wide variations may put some people off, it allows you to find something that is ideal for you. This is a spinning rod to consider if you are looking for fun and memorable fishing trips as it provides you with durability, effectiveness, and the best performance.
- Strong and robust thanks to the combination of fiberglass and graphite
- Very durable
- Offers a comfortable cork handle
- It is lighter but more sensitive
- It comes with a 7-year warranty
- More expensive than other models
- Line guidance can get troublesome after a while
2. KastKing Perigee II Fishing Rod – The Most Versatile Option
What would you expect from a spinning rod that gives you two rods for the price of one? When you choose the Perigee II, you will get two spinning rods with different power actions and this is ideal if you love to be versatile while on the water. In other words, this swivel rod allows you to swap tips to suit your fishing situation.
Made from carbon fiber and graphite, this spinning rod is lightweight and has the unique Fuji O-ring that will ensure your fishing line won’t break even when you’re in a tug of war with the most belligerent fish.
While the innovation and versatility of its twin-tip stand out, the Perigee II is made with quality components to offer great fishing performance at an absolutely affordable price.
- It is light and extremely balanced
- It is designed with high-quality components such as Fuji O-rings
- Has a hook bracket
- It has a beautiful and innovative design with a modern twist
- It comes with twin tips for different actions and versatility
- Twin tips come with a lifetime warranty
- The EVA foam in the handle is not as durable as a cork grip
3. Shimano Solora 2 Piece Swivel Rod – Best Fast Action Spinning Rod
There are times when you don’t want to fight the fish for that long and you want something that will catch the fish as quickly as possible. So if you are the catch and release type of angler, this spinning rod may be the perfect choice as it is widely known as a fast-acting rod that will never let you down if you want to fish fast.
With its reputation in the fishing industry as a great brand, Shimano ensures that the Solora 2 has a full-length cork grip to give you room to adjust when you want to bring in fish with the minimal scrambling. That’s not all; Its medium power works so perfectly that it doesn’t overpower the hook sets when landing fish. This rod should be your ideal choice if you’ve been looking for something to help you fish without much of a struggle.
- This is a fast action rod
- It comes with a double tip for added versatility.
- Cork grip gives you a full fit
- Relatively affordable
- Very durable
- The spool pin is too delicate
4. Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Fishing Rod – Excellent Value for Money
Another soul-satisfying Shakespeare spinning reed, the GX2 offers incredible features at a surprisingly affordable price. Although designed for tough conditions, it feels lightweight, is highly durable and offers you an astonishing 23 variations.
If you’ve been looking for a really good spinning rod but can’t afford the Ugly Stik Elite, the GX2 may be the right rod for you. It is light, resistant, very sensitive, and durable. Whatever the fishing conditions, this spinning rod will serve you diligently for a decade, if not longer.
- Strong and balanced thanks to its fiberglass and graphite construction
- It is designed for strength and sensitivity
- It is cheaper than the Ugly Stik Elite
- Made with very durable and modern components
- It comes with a seven-year warranty
- It is easy to assemble
- The EVA foam handle may not be very durable
- Grommets may not work better with braided lines
- Your locking mechanism is faulty
5. ENTSPORT E Series 3 Piece Spinning Rod- The Most Elegant Swivel Rod
Many fishermen engage in fishing as a hobby; something to help them relax from their daily discomforts. As such, they sometimes prefer to use some of the fancier gear that doesn’t compromise on quality and performance. If you are one of those anglers, then the Entsport E Series 3 may be the ideal spinning rod for you. Not only will it turn heads on the boat, but it will also have a mid-power band that works perfectly.
In addition to its elegance, this rod is durable and has a sturdy construction that is ideal for reliable performance. Essentially, this is a reliable, lightweight rod that combines durability and beauty in one line.
- It is very durable
- It is quite affordable
- Delivers a medium-light to medium-heavy power action
- It is made with a carbon rod blank construction
- Stainless steel line guides are very reliable and resistant to rust
- The reel seat feels cheap
- It can be inappropriate if you don’t like your splashes of color
6. St. Croix Triumph Spinning Rod – the most durable rod
If you are looking for a very durable spinning rod that can perform across the board even to catch the biggest or toughest fish, the St. Croix Triumph may be the right answer. Made with graphite and a carbon wrap, this spinning rod has its strength reinforced with a double layer of Flex Coats to ensure that it is suitable for even the toughest fishing conditions.
The very sensitive tip and the cork grip make it very functional. The rod may be limited in terms of length, but this can work to your advantage if you cannot hold or balance longer rods.
This is essentially a very durable yet very portable spinning rod that works well without compromising weight and sensitivity. You should consider this if you are spending much of your time fishing in rough waters.
- Very durable thanks to its double Flex-coat finish
- Line guides are also very durable
- It is very sensitive even when there is a very small fish on the line
- Very functional
- Perfect for rough water conditions
- It is too short
- Assembling it is difficult as it comes in four pieces
- It is one of the most expensive reeds
7. Cadence CR5 30 Spinning Rod – The best portable spinning rods
Thanks to its carbon-fiber composition and super light characteristics, the Cadence CR5 30 is the most portable spinning rod currently available on the market. We are talking about a spinning rod that has its heaviest variant at 4 pounds! The fact that it is so lightweight does not compromise its functionality or durability.
This is a perfect spinning rod that works well in various fishing conditions. In fact, its stainless steel grommets are exclusively designed with SIR inserts to help reduce friction without affecting the sensitivity of the bar. As such, your line will rarely break even when conditions are tough.
Its incredibly lightweight features mean you shouldn’t have any trouble carrying the Cadence CR5 30 on your fishing trips. Although the heaviest variant weighs around 4 pounds, it is perfectly designed to catch even the heaviest fish. Better yet, the manufacturer makes a valuable donation for every rod purchased.
- It’s super light for what it is
- Built to last
- Line guides are unique and durable
- You can catch all kinds of fish, both small and large
- Is very sensitive
- Your warranty is very short
- The spool pin is loose somehow
8. KastKing Royale Select – Perfect for a wide range of baits and lures
One of the pervasive challenges anglers face is finding the most perfect baits and lures for all fishing conditions. After all, this is not possible since what works today may not work tomorrow even under similar conditions. So what do you do as a fisherman? Well, you should have a variety of lures and baits in your tackle box. But how do you use these baits and lures perfectly? Consider opting for KastKing Royale Select.
This is an excellent rod that works perfectly with almost all types of lures and baits. As an angler, this is the kind of versatility you need in your rod and the Royale Select provides it at a very affordable price. Add this to your sensitivity and a power action combination and you’re good to go.
- Pay attention to many crucial fishing details
- It has a very gentle power
- It can be used with all kinds of lures and baits
- Perfect for all bodies of water
- It is quite affordable
- Is very sensitive
- Perfect for catching all kinds of fish
- The tip is not strong and can break easily
9. Shimano FX 2 pieces: the most basic spinning rod
If you’re looking for a simplistic spinning rod that can match any high-end rod all day every day, the Shimano FX is the real deal. Popular with beginners and seasoned anglers, the FX is not only a cheaper option, it also remains unwavering no matter what fishing conditions or the type of fish at the end of the line.
Unlike most spinning rods that are made of graphite and fiberglass, the FX is constructed of strong streamlined glass material to make it durable, lightweight, and easy to use. Although this footage can take some getting used to, it makes the FX a great option if you’re on a budget but still wants to get a proper shot.
- Very accessible
- Perfect for beginners
- Excellent for longer throw distances
- Very durable
- The spool pin fits perfectly
- It is a very basic rod
- Streamlined glassware will take some getting used to
10. Fenwick HGM Spinning Rod – The Best Spinning Rods
Fishing can be a nostalgic hobby. So if you want to find a spinning rod that your grandfather used over 30 years ago, the Fenwick HGM could be a great alternative. Despite a few changes here and there, this spinning rod has been around for a long time and can be a great option if you want to go down memory lane.
Today’s models are lightweight but still provide the durability of the models of yesteryear and that is why they come with a lifetime warranty. It is also made of strong materials, such as titanium frame guides, and works just as perfectly as any other modern spinning rod.
- The rod is long and excellent for long casting distances
- You have a choice of 1 or 2 pieces
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- Its slimmed handle offers a comfortable grip
- It is quite affordable
- It is not perfect for beginners
How to buy the best spinning rods
It all comes down to using the correct spinning rod – one with the right balance of action, power, length, composition, and construction – for the terminal rig you decided to match the fish you want to catch. And … in the end … fishing and having fun is what it’s all about!
To avoid a disaster on a fishing trip and take those hard-earned dollars that little bit further, don’t just swing a spinning rod to decide if it’s right for you. High-quality, inexpensive spinning rods (like ours) are not much different from the ones you should avoid. Take a minute and evaluate these five critical features of any spinning rod to select the best one for you and your budget.
Measure the force. Think “backbone”. A heavy power rod will support large fish, a high-weight test line, heavier lure weights, and is good for pulling fish from the heavy deck. Never outgrow a rod by casting heavy lures over light rods.
Measure how much the rod bends. Fast action bends at the tip, moderate bends closer to the reel. Fast action rods are more responsive, while medium and slow action rods cast further.
Longer spinning rods are thrown farther. Shorter rods are more accurate. There is a simple decision on the length. Given the same size of the lure, a long rod will cast you further, while a short rod will be more precise and more maneuverable where vegetation limits the casting hit. If accuracy is vital, go short. If you shoot wide, go long. A longer cast will keep the lure in the water longer and present it to more fish.
Freshwater rod length
Beginner: 7 feet
Lake/pond: 6 feet to 7 feet
Small river: 5 feet to 6 feet
Medium River: 7 feet to 8 feet
Rio Grande: 8 feet to 10 feet
Saltwater rod length
Offshore: 7 feet to 8 feet
On land: 6.5 feet to 8 feet
Surf: 9 feet to 14 feet
Deep-sea: 7 feet
Rotating rods come in fiberglass, graphite, and composite materials. Fiberglass is indestructible, but not sensitive. Graphite is very light and sensitive. Composite rods exhibit varying degrees of the characteristics of fiberglass and graphite.
Look for a reinforced reel lock and SIC rod guides. Confirm that the handle is the proper length for your application and fishing style.
There you go; the best spinning rods currently available on the market. Hopefully, this list will help you make an informed decision when choosing the most perfect spinning rod for your fishing expeditions. After all, a great spinning rod can make the difference between going home with a trophy catch and ending the day empty-handed.
You can learn more Here